Cost: $42.2 Million
Project Dates: March 2013 to August 2015
This project consists of constructing 7.2 miles of 12- foot wide full-depth shoulders for I-95 in Prince William County, VA. The planned work is being built in heavily travelled corridor with concurrent I-95 Express Lanes being constructed simultaneously alongside this project. Extensive MOT coordination and conflict mitigation is required. CES
Consulting LLC (CES) performed pre-construction and construction management and inspection services for project. CES Consulting provided a project manager and four inspectors.
PRE-CONSTRUCTION: CES provided preliminary engineering services such as constructability and bidability reviews, Contract Time Determination Report (CTDR), user fees calculations and contract special provisions.
CONSTRUCTION: CES performed construction management services by supporting VDOT with construction engineering and inspection services in the field. The CES project manager is responsible for:
– Ensuring that all work is per VDOT standards and specifications
– All testing is performed at the correct frequency, measured and documented daily work pay items
– Managing CEI staff of multiple consultants and VDOT
– Working closely with the contractor, all field design conflicts are resolved at the lowest level possible, utility coordination coordinated expeditiously, and traffic disruptions minimized
Additional support included project controls, schedule and change order estimation and claim analysis. The project is six months ahead of schedule through partnering with the contractor and all claims have been withdrawn.
– Roadway widening including storm drainage construction
– Underdrain and cement stabilized aggregate, lime stabilization and manipulation
– Box-culverts and roadway drainage, guardrail
– In-plan utility relocations (including sensitive government fiber optic cable)
– Asphalt pavement construction and reconstruction
– Overhead signs and variable message boards, extensive MOT work and multiple phased construction
– Interstate corridor lighting and ITS communication equipment/duct bank installation